At our October assembly, we talked about community, friendship, kindness and bullying. Together we sang Lean On Me. We also introduced the Buddy Bench that was donated to our school by Mario. Who is Mario?
The Buddy Bench is a simple idea to eliminate loneliness and foster friendships on the playground. Our bench will be installed on our playground for our students to use.
Buddy Bench Guidelines:
- Before you sit on the Buddy Bench, think of something you would like to do. Ask someone else to play with you.
- The bench isn’t for socializing. Only sit there if you can’t find anyone to play with.
- While you’re sitting on the bench, look around for a game you can join.
- If you see something you want to do or a friend you want to talk to, get off the bench!
- If you’re sitting on the bench, play with the first classmate who invites you.
- Keep playing with your new friends!
Because Mario was bullied and October is National Bullying Prevention Month we talked a bit about bullying.
Bullying is when someone is hurt by either words or actions on purpose, usually more than once, feels bad because of it, and has a hard time stopping what is happening to them.
Be part of the solution:
Please talk to your children about bullying and encourage them to use our new buddy bench. Here are some additional links to the information on bullying we offered students and resources you can use at home: